Can it really be? Has Yelawolf set aside his prodigious talent and one-of-a-kind style in order to pursue a career of homogeneous club hits? Nah—but I scared you a little there, didn’t I? Despite the title and the Lil Jon guest feature, major-label debut single Hard White (In the Club) is packed with all the shapeshifting flows, witty wisecracks and non-f*ck-giving attitude listeners have come to expect from Catfish Billy. Hydrox handles production duties, layering an exotic vocal sample over bruising percussion as the Trunk Muzik emcee lashes out at the haters (“F*ck the critics with a spiked d*ck when it can fit barely.”) and defiantly affirms his individuality: “In this forest I’m a lonely tree / My limbs are covered with tattoos and my roots, they run deep.” And Lil Jon? The Crunk King actually excels as wingman, his gruffness accentuating the record’s bone-crushing vibe. Like what you’re hearing? Hard White is set to hit iTunes next Tuesday, August 8, paving the way for the September 27, release of Yela’s Shady/Interscope debut album, Radioactive.
Written by richard on 08/4/11
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.