Can it really be? Has Yelawolf set aside his prodigious talent and one-of-a-kind style in order to pursue a career of homogeneous club hits? Nah—but I scared you a little there, didn’t I? Despite the title and the Lil Jon guest feature, major-label debut single Hard White (In the Club) is packed with all the shapeshifting flows, witty wisecracks and non-f*ck-giving attitude listeners have come to expect from Catfish Billy. Hydrox handles production duties, layering an exotic vocal sample over bruising percussion as the Trunk Muzik emcee lashes out at the haters (“F*ck the critics with a spiked d*ck when it can fit barely.”) and defiantly affirms his individuality: “In this forest I’m a lonely tree / My limbs are covered with tattoos and my roots, they run deep.” And Lil Jon? The Crunk King actually excels as wingman, his gruffness accentuating the record’s bone-crushing vibe. Like what you’re hearing? Hard White is set to hit iTunes next Tuesday, August 8, paving the way for the September 27, release of Yela’s Shady/Interscope debut album, Radioactive.
Written by richard on 08/4/11
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.