Can it really be? Has Yelawolf set aside his prodigious talent and one-of-a-kind style in order to pursue a career of homogeneous club hits? Nah—but I scared you a little there, didn’t I? Despite the title and the Lil Jon guest feature, major-label debut single Hard White (In the Club) is packed with all the shapeshifting flows, witty wisecracks and non-f*ck-giving attitude listeners have come to expect from Catfish Billy. Hydrox handles production duties, layering an exotic vocal sample over bruising percussion as the Trunk Muzik emcee lashes out at the haters (“F*ck the critics with a spiked d*ck when it can fit barely.”) and defiantly affirms his individuality: “In this forest I’m a lonely tree / My limbs are covered with tattoos and my roots, they run deep.” And Lil Jon? The Crunk King actually excels as wingman, his gruffness accentuating the record’s bone-crushing vibe. Like what you’re hearing? Hard White is set to hit iTunes next Tuesday, August 8, paving the way for the September 27, release of Yela’s Shady/Interscope debut album, Radioactive.
Written by richard on 08/4/11
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.