Can it really be? Has Yelawolf set aside his prodigious talent and one-of-a-kind style in order to pursue a career of homogeneous club hits? Nah—but I scared you a little there, didn’t I? Despite the title and the Lil Jon guest feature, major-label debut single Hard White (In the Club) is packed with all the shapeshifting flows, witty wisecracks and non-f*ck-giving attitude listeners have come to expect from Catfish Billy. Hydrox handles production duties, layering an exotic vocal sample over bruising percussion as the Trunk Muzik emcee lashes out at the haters (“F*ck the critics with a spiked d*ck when it can fit barely.”) and defiantly affirms his individuality: “In this forest I’m a lonely tree / My limbs are covered with tattoos and my roots, they run deep.” And Lil Jon? The Crunk King actually excels as wingman, his gruffness accentuating the record’s bone-crushing vibe. Like what you’re hearing? Hard White is set to hit iTunes next Tuesday, August 8, paving the way for the September 27, release of Yela’s Shady/Interscope debut album, Radioactive.
Written by richard on 08/4/11
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.