You don’t need to be dark-skinned and living in the inner-city projects to experience the cruelty this world has to offer. Though he himself came up amid struggle and poverty, Yelawolf reminds us that one’s life experiences are shaped by more than one’s ‘hood on Growin’ Up in the Gutter, the latest song release off his 2011 debut set. One of the project’s grimiest, most unconventional cuts, this joint finds WillPower layering searing synth voice over pummeling, almost industrial percussion a the rhymesayer looks evil straight in its beady eyes. In between Yela’s opening and closing verses, which tell the story of a young girl scarred by neglect and abuse, as well as drawing from his own experiences, Slumerican signee Rittz grabs the mic to expose the seamy, violent side of suburbia in his bracing, deftly-flowed middle verse. A record this harrowing needs some appropriately dark visuals, and directors Tyler Clinton and Michael Wayne go several miles beyond the call of duty; featuring gruesome scenes of violence both real and fictional, the accompanying short film is most definitely not for the faint of heart (or stomach). Radioactive is available in stores and online as of November 2011, and Yela’s newest project, the just-released Heart of Dixie LP, is available here for streaming and download. Fans can catch Ritz on his current headlining tour, for which the Booth is a media sponsor.
Written by richard on 07/5/12
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.