Fame sure has changed one of rap’s most unlikely new rising stars, the heavily tattooed, rural Alabama representative Yelawolf. While the DJBooth Freestyle alum may have been happy to ride around in a box Chevy just a year ago, he now refuses to whip anything but Daddy’s Lambo. Ok, so maybe Yela hasn’t really changed – after all, the whip in question belongs to a rich girl he’s using for her money, but he obviously has actually made some Hollywood friends, including Lambo producer Drama Beats (a.k.a. Drama, a.k.a. Rob Dyrdek’s cousin/whipping boy on Fantasy Factory). Impressively Drama actually comes through with a simultaneously stealth and booming beat (just try to stop your head from nodding) that fits Yela’s ever-shifting flow perfectly, allowing Catfish Billy to take his revving and breaking rhymes to new speeds. His status may be growing by the minute, but on the mic the man hasn’t changed a thing, thank sweet baby jesus. For more Southern bangers and tips on expensive car “borrowing”, be sure to check out Trunk Muzik 0-60, a re-release of the DJBooth sponsored original mixtape, due to tear up the track on November 22.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/17/10
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.