Is it Opposite Day or something? Uh… never mind; I’m pretty sure there’s no possibility of getting a straight answer to that question. The point I’m getting around to is that Bronx up-and-comer YC The Cynic may want to think about changing his stage name to “YC The Optimist,” because his latest single, Summertime High, is about as far from “bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic” as it gets – in fact, it’s pretty damned upbeat. Backed by the sun-drenched, lushly-arranged soul-sample production of J Free, this “new summer anthem” finds the man who brought us Say Superman celebrating everything that’s wonderful about warm weather: lemonade, leisurely drives through the city streets, lazy days spent at the beach and (especially) beautiful, half-dressed females. Has this head-noddable track brightened your day? Well then, keep it locked – YC the Cynic’s latest street album, The Spectacle, isn’t set to drop till fall, but we’ll be sure to bring you all the latest in the meantime.
Written by richard on 07/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Superman" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.