Is it Opposite Day or something? Uh… never mind; I’m pretty sure there’s no possibility of getting a straight answer to that question. The point I’m getting around to is that Bronx up-and-comer YC The Cynic may want to think about changing his stage name to “YC The Optimist,” because his latest single, Summertime High, is about as far from “bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic” as it gets – in fact, it’s pretty damned upbeat. Backed by the sun-drenched, lushly-arranged soul-sample production of J Free, this “new summer anthem” finds the man who brought us Say Superman celebrating everything that’s wonderful about warm weather: lemonade, leisurely drives through the city streets, lazy days spent at the beach and (especially) beautiful, half-dressed females. Has this head-noddable track brightened your day? Well then, keep it locked – YC the Cynic’s latest street album, The Spectacle, isn’t set to drop till fall, but we’ll be sure to bring you all the latest in the meantime.
Written by richard on 07/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Superman" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.