Is it Opposite Day or something? Uh… never mind; I’m pretty sure there’s no possibility of getting a straight answer to that question. The point I’m getting around to is that Bronx up-and-comer YC The Cynic may want to think about changing his stage name to “YC The Optimist,” because his latest single, Summertime High, is about as far from “bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic” as it gets – in fact, it’s pretty damned upbeat. Backed by the sun-drenched, lushly-arranged soul-sample production of J Free, this “new summer anthem” finds the man who brought us Say Superman celebrating everything that’s wonderful about warm weather: lemonade, leisurely drives through the city streets, lazy days spent at the beach and (especially) beautiful, half-dressed females. Has this head-noddable track brightened your day? Well then, keep it locked – YC the Cynic’s latest street album, The Spectacle, isn’t set to drop till fall, but we’ll be sure to bring you all the latest in the meantime.
Written by richard on 07/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Superman" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)