Those who celebrated Easter on Sunday, might be maxed out on churchin’ and sick of uncomfortable clothes and long services, but we have one more Hymn for you. Now, before you go ahead and click the back button faster than a kid running through a basket of Jelly beans, understand that this Black Jesus is delivered by Mannie Fresh and Yasiin Bey (a.k.a Mos Def). Fresh, known for his opulent, energetic production, switches gears on Jesus, providing Bey with a more minimalist effort, centered around a church choir sample. While the G.O.O.D Music emcee works under an unfamiliar alias, he still delivers the goods, gracing the track with an interesting religious spin and abstract style. If you like the sound of Black Jesus, there will be plenty more on their forthcoming LP, OMFGOD.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/1/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rising Down (Hum Drum) ft. Mos Def, Styles P & Dice Raw" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.