The younger sister of defensive lineman and future NFL Hall of Fame candidate Simeon Rice, Chi-town native Yashi had originally followed the athletics path as a scholarship track & field star for the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Salukis. During her junior year, however, she discovered that music was her true passion and ended up signed to her big bro’s own label, Lucid Dream Entertainment. On new single (and Booth debut) If I Had My Way, she teams up with hitmaking duo Jim Jonsin and Rico Love (The Greatest, Shone, Single Girl) to express her desire for a special man. Yashi’s alto vocals will definitely draw comparisons to certain other soul songstresses (Chrisette, Jazmine, and Melanie come to mind), but Jim & Rico’s beat helps her stand out from the pack. Whether or not she succeeds in hooking that fella, Yashi should have no trouble wooing a classic R&B fanbase. The only question that remains is, can her big bro can pick up distribution as easily as he did sacks on the football field?
Written by Burmy on 06/15/09
Submit your Rating
Lucid Dream Ent.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Every Girl Drake’s Ever Mentioned in a Song Ever
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.