The younger sister of defensive lineman and future NFL Hall of Fame candidate Simeon Rice, Chi-town native Yashi had originally followed the athletics path as a scholarship track & field star for the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Salukis. During her junior year, however, she discovered that music was her true passion and ended up signed to her big bro’s own label, Lucid Dream Entertainment. On new single (and Booth debut) If I Had My Way, she teams up with hitmaking duo Jim Jonsin and Rico Love (The Greatest, Shone, Single Girl) to express her desire for a special man. Yashi’s alto vocals will definitely draw comparisons to certain other soul songstresses (Chrisette, Jazmine, and Melanie come to mind), but Jim & Rico’s beat helps her stand out from the pack. Whether or not she succeeds in hooking that fella, Yashi should have no trouble wooing a classic R&B fanbase. The only question that remains is, can her big bro can pick up distribution as easily as he did sacks on the football field?
Lucid Dream Ent.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.