This year, Jeeps have been receiving a surprising amount of love in the hip-hop game; February saw Action Bronson release a cut intended Strictly 4 them, and today the Yancey Boys drop off a fresh single intended to be blasted from their speakers. As you’d expect from a joint based around a unreleased J. Dilla beat, the production is the star of the show on Jeep Volume. A looped fragment from Fifth Dimension’s Let the Sunshine In keeps the listener in suspense throughout Illa J and Frank Nitt‘s verses; instead of resolving the harmonic tension, however, the hook veers off in an entirely different direction. Slum Village‘s T3, a frequent collaborator of the late James Yancey, contributes guest bars. For more dope rhymes over never-before-heard Jay Dee beats, cop the Yancey Boys’ Sunset Blvd LP when it hits record stores and online retailers October 29.
Written by richard on 10/22/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.