Does a song about heartbreak have to sound like as much of a downer as the experience itself? YahZarah, the NYC soul singer previously glimpsed on the hook of Camp Lo‘s Regulate, thinks not, judging by this album inclusion, her first solo feature. Here, the driving, ‘80s-informed boardwork of co-producers Nicolay and Phonte sets an incongruously upbeat (but undeniably infectious) mood as YahZarah asks her soon-to-be-former fella “Why Dontcha Call Me Anymore?,” painfully aware that the answer to that question involves another woman. Ultimately, she bids the man in question adieu without hesitation, voicing a sentiment that anyone who’s experienced a similarly rude romantic awakening will be able to relate to: “I hope you’re happy or whatever… on second thought, not really.” YahZarah’s spirited vocals, along with the compulsively body-moving beat, make this track hard to resist – the talk-box guitar solo on the back end is just icing on the cake. Those who like what they’re hearing can find more on The Ballad of Purple St. James, scheduled to hit stores and online retailers May 4.
Written by richard on 03/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Regulate ft. Yahzarah" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.