Featured back in February, promo single F_#k U Rite found Ya Boy informing a girl that, though he wasn’t exactly swimming in paper just yet, he made up for it with the kind of lovemaking skills that no amount of money can buy. Well, the artist may not have to add the caveat about his shortage of funds for much longer, now that Akon‘s added him to the Konvict roster. To celebrate his signing, Ya Boy and his new boss have teamed up to create Lock Down, a buzz single with a drastically different, but no less fresh sound than the aforementioned cut. In addition to contributing a hook and guest verse, Kon handles production duties, crafting a tunefully understated, lightly gritty guitar-sampled instrumental. On the lyrical tip, Ya Boy proves that taking the rapper out the hood doesn’t necessarily mean taking the hood out the rapper, deftly brushing aside those who would question his street bona fides: “I hear the rumors that I’m just pop now / Like they never heard a hood n*gga with a hot style.” Eager to hear more? Stay tuned; details on Ya Boy’s major-label debut have yet to be released, but fans can keep it locked for all the latest.
Written by richard on 04/19/11
Submit your Rating
Black Card Muzik/Empire
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Holla At Ya Boy ft. Dre" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.