Apparently finished installing shark tanks into the back of mini-vans, west coast heavyweight Xzibit is once again making hip-hop, and he’s chosen one of the best movies of the year as inspiration for his comeback. Sure his new street single Hurt Locker doesn’t thematically have much to do with The Hurt Locker, a movie about soldiers in Iraq who dismantle bombs, but both the track and the flick share the same heart-pounding, adrenaline-pumping, ass-kicking spirit. Over an aptly cinematic beat by Scoop Deville that incorporates hard-rock influences without going overboard (take notes Lil Wayne), Xzibit drops relentlessly heavy rhymes that take no prisoners: “I’m a man on a mission…It’s that hardcore heavy headbang you’ve been missin.” It’s a little late to earn a spot on the soundtrack, but Hurt Locker the song is more than worthy of sharing a title with The Hurt Locker the movie, and if you’ve seen the movie that’s one hell of a compliment. Xzibit’s currently untitled new album, his first since 2006, is currently set to drop sometime in 2010.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
Open Bar Entertainment/EMI
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On Bail" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.