On a highly-acclaimed 2009 mixtape single, XV compared his musical grind to the death-defying chases and vertiginoius leaps of PS3/XBox classic Mirror’s Edge. Two years and change later, the Kansas City native’s situation is considerably less precarious: with a major-label contract under his belt and a highly-anticipated debut album on the way, his life is almost starting to feel like a nice dream… like any Inception fan, however, he knows The Kick that sends him tumbling back to reality could come at any moment. On this unreleased promo cut, DJ Tech-Neek looks to the 2010 film’s Hans Zimmer score for inspiration, flipping iconic theme Time into a cinematically sweeping backdrop for the freestyle series alumnus’ reflections on the ephemeral nature of success: Though the emcee poignantly wonders whether he really deserves what he’s got ( “Lord, can I change my life with these sentences, when I got boys doing life ‘cause of sentences?”) he ultimately resolves to make the most of it while it lasts: “I know this life with all of the lights ain’t real but f*ck it I don’t wanna leave / ‘Cause you can never have déjà vu, if you don’t ever dream.” This thought-provoking joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but fans can, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for anything and everything Vizzy.
Written by richard on 09/8/11
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)