On a highly-acclaimed 2009 mixtape single, XV compared his musical grind to the death-defying chases and vertiginoius leaps of PS3/XBox classic Mirror’s Edge. Two years and change later, the Kansas City native’s situation is considerably less precarious: with a major-label contract under his belt and a highly-anticipated debut album on the way, his life is almost starting to feel like a nice dream… like any Inception fan, however, he knows The Kick that sends him tumbling back to reality could come at any moment. On this unreleased promo cut, DJ Tech-Neek looks to the 2010 film’s Hans Zimmer score for inspiration, flipping iconic theme Time into a cinematically sweeping backdrop for the freestyle series alumnus’ reflections on the ephemeral nature of success: Though the emcee poignantly wonders whether he really deserves what he’s got ( “Lord, can I change my life with these sentences, when I got boys doing life ‘cause of sentences?”) he ultimately resolves to make the most of it while it lasts: “I know this life with all of the lights ain’t real but f*ck it I don’t wanna leave / ‘Cause you can never have déjà vu, if you don’t ever dream.” This thought-provoking joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but fans can, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for anything and everything Vizzy.
Written by richard on 09/8/11
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.