On a highly-acclaimed 2009 mixtape single, XV compared his musical grind to the death-defying chases and vertiginoius leaps of PS3/XBox classic Mirror’s Edge. Two years and change later, the Kansas City native’s situation is considerably less precarious: with a major-label contract under his belt and a highly-anticipated debut album on the way, his life is almost starting to feel like a nice dream… like any Inception fan, however, he knows The Kick that sends him tumbling back to reality could come at any moment. On this unreleased promo cut, DJ Tech-Neek looks to the 2010 film’s Hans Zimmer score for inspiration, flipping iconic theme Time into a cinematically sweeping backdrop for the freestyle series alumnus’ reflections on the ephemeral nature of success: Though the emcee poignantly wonders whether he really deserves what he’s got ( “Lord, can I change my life with these sentences, when I got boys doing life ‘cause of sentences?”) he ultimately resolves to make the most of it while it lasts: “I know this life with all of the lights ain’t real but f*ck it I don’t wanna leave / ‘Cause you can never have déjà vu, if you don’t ever dream.” This thought-provoking joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but fans can, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for anything and everything Vizzy.
Written by richard on 09/8/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)