After playing the Clark Kent role for years, one of the brightest new-comers in the game, XV, now thinks he’s Superman. Ok, fine. So I have yet to find any concrete evidence of my claim, but his new song SmallVille is a pretty damn strong indicator. With a legion of fans clicking on anything with J. Cole’s name attached, Vizzy’s sure to get some additional looks by flowing over a smoothly produced Cole instrumental that samples the Smashing Pumpkins (specifically To Forgive, for those sample heads out there). On the mic the Kansas emcee dips into the more serious material in his arsenal, working in the occasional hot punchline but primarily concentrating on the kind of open honesty that has earned him so many loyal listeners in the booth. SmallVille has high replay value, and is sure to turn non-believers towards the Vizzy Zone, so be on the lookout for Zero Heroes, an as-yet mysterious project set to be released before XV’s major label debut that he promises will be “REALLY special.” You’ll just have to keep it locked for more details.
Written by Jon Garcia on 01/30/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)