After playing the Clark Kent role for years, one of the brightest new-comers in the game, XV, now thinks he’s Superman. Ok, fine. So I have yet to find any concrete evidence of my claim, but his new song SmallVille is a pretty damn strong indicator. With a legion of fans clicking on anything with J. Cole’s name attached, Vizzy’s sure to get some additional looks by flowing over a smoothly produced Cole instrumental that samples the Smashing Pumpkins (specifically To Forgive, for those sample heads out there). On the mic the Kansas emcee dips into the more serious material in his arsenal, working in the occasional hot punchline but primarily concentrating on the kind of open honesty that has earned him so many loyal listeners in the booth. SmallVille has high replay value, and is sure to turn non-believers towards the Vizzy Zone, so be on the lookout for Zero Heroes, an as-yet mysterious project set to be released before XV’s major label debut that he promises will be “REALLY special.” You’ll just have to keep it locked for more details.
Written by Jon Garcia on 01/30/11
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.