After playing the Clark Kent role for years, one of the brightest new-comers in the game, XV, now thinks he’s Superman. Ok, fine. So I have yet to find any concrete evidence of my claim, but his new song SmallVille is a pretty damn strong indicator. With a legion of fans clicking on anything with J. Cole’s name attached, Vizzy’s sure to get some additional looks by flowing over a smoothly produced Cole instrumental that samples the Smashing Pumpkins (specifically To Forgive, for those sample heads out there). On the mic the Kansas emcee dips into the more serious material in his arsenal, working in the occasional hot punchline but primarily concentrating on the kind of open honesty that has earned him so many loyal listeners in the booth. SmallVille has high replay value, and is sure to turn non-believers towards the Vizzy Zone, so be on the lookout for Zero Heroes, an as-yet mysterious project set to be released before XV’s major label debut that he promises will be “REALLY special.” You’ll just have to keep it locked for more details.
Written by Jon Garcia on 01/30/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.