In mythology the phoenix is said to Rise from its own ashes as it’s reborn, and while Kansas rapper XV‘s latest record has absolutely nothing to do with mythology the emcee does seem to take on a sense of bravado that myths are built upon. The Midwest spitter doesn’t hold back on Rise as he touches on the progression he’s made in his career and how he has addressed his doubters. The Awesome Sound‘s already bass-heavy production becomes even more booming as XV rattles off the song’s triumphant hook. The release of Rise comes just a month and a half after the Freestyle Series alum unveiled his The Awesome EP and Popular Culture mixtape. As a bonus for all of his loyal hometown Kansas fans XV will performing the entire tape at a venue in his home state on August 16. Not in Kansas anymore, Toto? Fear not because the entire event will be available via live stream.
Written by Danielle H. on 08/9/12
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.