If you’ll forgive me for busting out a dusty old cliché, rappers on the rise should be careful what they wish for—cause they just might get it. Well aware of the speed with which dreams, when achieved, can turn into nightmares, perennial Booth fave XV takes his latest unreleased cut as an opportunity to reveal one of his deepest Phobias: “What I’m scared of is getting hits like a fiend, and then bein’ high and it’s not what it seems.” Over the slow-burning synth production of appropriately (if question-begging-ly) named beatsmith The Awesome Sound, the freestyle series alum lies down on the couch for a little mic therapy, voicing his trepidation regarding the fame and fortune that seem to lie in his future. On the record’s latter two-thirds, Vizzy deftly interweaves his professional insecurities with relationship metaphor and imagery from 2010 blockbuster Inception. Does this complex, thoughtful joint leave you craving more from the Kansas City phenom? Though Phobia isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it can hear more on April’s Zero Heroes mixtape, as well as keeping it locked for the latest on his long-awaited The Kid With the Green Backpack LP.
Listen to More: XV
Written by richard on 06/12/11
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.