If you’ll forgive me for busting out a dusty old cliché, rappers on the rise should be careful what they wish for—cause they just might get it. Well aware of the speed with which dreams, when achieved, can turn into nightmares, perennial Booth fave XV takes his latest unreleased cut as an opportunity to reveal one of his deepest Phobias: “What I’m scared of is getting hits like a fiend, and then bein’ high and it’s not what it seems.” Over the slow-burning synth production of appropriately (if question-begging-ly) named beatsmith The Awesome Sound, the freestyle series alum lies down on the couch for a little mic therapy, voicing his trepidation regarding the fame and fortune that seem to lie in his future. On the record’s latter two-thirds, Vizzy deftly interweaves his professional insecurities with relationship metaphor and imagery from 2010 blockbuster Inception. Does this complex, thoughtful joint leave you craving more from the Kansas City phenom? Though Phobia isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it can hear more on April’s Zero Heroes mixtape, as well as keeping it locked for the latest on his long-awaited The Kid With the Green Backpack LP.
Written by richard on 06/12/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.