If you’ll forgive me for busting out a dusty old cliché, rappers on the rise should be careful what they wish for—cause they just might get it. Well aware of the speed with which dreams, when achieved, can turn into nightmares, perennial Booth fave XV takes his latest unreleased cut as an opportunity to reveal one of his deepest Phobias: “What I’m scared of is getting hits like a fiend, and then bein’ high and it’s not what it seems.” Over the slow-burning synth production of appropriately (if question-begging-ly) named beatsmith The Awesome Sound, the freestyle series alum lies down on the couch for a little mic therapy, voicing his trepidation regarding the fame and fortune that seem to lie in his future. On the record’s latter two-thirds, Vizzy deftly interweaves his professional insecurities with relationship metaphor and imagery from 2010 blockbuster Inception. Does this complex, thoughtful joint leave you craving more from the Kansas City phenom? Though Phobia isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it can hear more on April’s Zero Heroes mixtape, as well as keeping it locked for the latest on his long-awaited The Kid With the Green Backpack LP.
Written by richard on 06/12/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.