If you’ll forgive me for busting out a dusty old cliché, rappers on the rise should be careful what they wish for—cause they just might get it. Well aware of the speed with which dreams, when achieved, can turn into nightmares, perennial Booth fave XV takes his latest unreleased cut as an opportunity to reveal one of his deepest Phobias: “What I’m scared of is getting hits like a fiend, and then bein’ high and it’s not what it seems.” Over the slow-burning synth production of appropriately (if question-begging-ly) named beatsmith The Awesome Sound, the freestyle series alum lies down on the couch for a little mic therapy, voicing his trepidation regarding the fame and fortune that seem to lie in his future. On the record’s latter two-thirds, Vizzy deftly interweaves his professional insecurities with relationship metaphor and imagery from 2010 blockbuster Inception. Does this complex, thoughtful joint leave you craving more from the Kansas City phenom? Though Phobia isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it can hear more on April’s Zero Heroes mixtape, as well as keeping it locked for the latest on his long-awaited The Kid With the Green Backpack LP.
Written by richard on 06/12/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.