Like what the #Occupy movement is doing, but too lazy to to take it to the streets? You’re in luck—Booth fave XV has pioneered a new way to fight against the 1% from the comfort of your very own headphones. OK, to keep it one-hundred, kicking back and listening to #Occupy Music won’t address income inequality or homelessness, but the record will undoubtedly prove inspiring for anyone who wishes the game were in the hands of artists, not industry suits. A joint that didn’t make it onto the artist’s next street album, this cut finds frequent collaborator The Awesome Sound flipping French electronic group Télépopmusik’s Breathe into a moody, backdrop for bars poetically detailing the freestyle alum‘s dissatisfaction with the major-label hustle: “Now we sell ourselves shorter where we could sell ourselves / So we sign to majors for all the whistles and bells / And you think you’ll get on board ‘cause all your tracks is real—oh well.” Complete with an airy chorus by Raja, this joint will undoubtedly leave heads more amped than ever for a hip-hop revolution—if a little worried about the state of XV’s relationship with Atlantic. Though, as mentioned above, this record won’t be appearing on the project, fans will be able to hear plenty more where this came from on Vizzy’s Popular Music LP, scheduled to drop June 15, for free digital download.
Written by richard on 06/11/12
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.