For most of us, breaking out the Xbox (or Wii, Playstation, Colecovision, etc.) and indulging in a few, uh, wheatgrass shots falls squarely under the heading of “slacking off”—for XV, however, it’s research. Premiered last week on Hot97, the lead single off the Booth favorite’s long, long-awaited Everybody’s Nobody mixtape finds him taking inspiration from bestselling 360 title Mirror’s Edge, relating the hit platformer’s free-running action to his quest for musical superstardom. Frequent production collaborator Seven‘s dreamy synth-piano instrumental is more than a little reminiscent of the spacey, ambient tunes Solar Fields composed for MA‘s score, but Pac-Man Fever this ain’t—the Wichita rapper’s bouncy delivery is in full effect as he once again addresses the pressures of life in the spotlight, and, though his lyrical reflections are a little more diffuse than they were on the mixtape’s title track and the previously-featured Something Better, Mirror’s Edge fits with the project’s overarching theme without sacrificing pop appeal. Everybody’s Nobody has yet to receive a solid release date, but this single has every chance of speeding up the process; in any case, keep it locked to the Booth for further details.
Listen to More: XV
Written by richard on 07/5/09
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.