For most of us, breaking out the Xbox (or Wii, Playstation, Colecovision, etc.) and indulging in a few, uh, wheatgrass shots falls squarely under the heading of “slacking off”—for XV, however, it’s research. Premiered last week on Hot97, the lead single off the Booth favorite’s long, long-awaited Everybody’s Nobody mixtape finds him taking inspiration from bestselling 360 title Mirror’s Edge, relating the hit platformer’s free-running action to his quest for musical superstardom. Frequent production collaborator Seven‘s dreamy synth-piano instrumental is more than a little reminiscent of the spacey, ambient tunes Solar Fields composed for MA‘s score, but Pac-Man Fever this ain’t—the Wichita rapper’s bouncy delivery is in full effect as he once again addresses the pressures of life in the spotlight, and, though his lyrical reflections are a little more diffuse than they were on the mixtape’s title track and the previously-featured Something Better, Mirror’s Edge fits with the project’s overarching theme without sacrificing pop appeal. Everybody’s Nobody has yet to receive a solid release date, but this single has every chance of speeding up the process; in any case, keep it locked to the Booth for further details.
Listen to More: XV
Written by richard on 07/5/09
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.