Hailing from the Great Plains, I can count with one hand how many artists from my state have made it to the national stage in hip-hop. Zero. The same goes for the nearby states of Arkansas and Kansas. Wichita native XV is on a quest to change the status quo and has been on rap’s radar since 2009. Back then he was barely starting to leave the nest. Over time he’s gradually grown out his wings and today it appears XV is taking lessons so he can Learn to Fly. Pretty fitting for a guy whose city is known for its aviation industry. Produced by The Awesome Sound, who also doubles at XV’s DJ, Learn to Fly is a spacey record that steadily hits us with an arsenal of synths and piano keys over which X lyrically tap dances on. If XV is the pilot, than Betty Trouble is the stewardess as she provides the calming chorus that complements XV’s spry verses where he discusses the road, or runway, that he’s taken during the course of his life and career to reach his current cruising altitude. So with a preview of what we can expect on the EP, we’ll have to wait until January to see if his upcoming EP, rumored to be titled L7, will take off on time or if it’ll be a delayed departure.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 12/22/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.