Hailing from the Great Plains, I can count with one hand how many artists from my state have made it to the national stage in hip-hop. Zero. The same goes for the nearby states of Arkansas and Kansas. Wichita native XV is on a quest to change the status quo and has been on rap’s radar since 2009. Back then he was barely starting to leave the nest. Over time he’s gradually grown out his wings and today it appears XV is taking lessons so he can Learn to Fly. Pretty fitting for a guy whose city is known for its aviation industry. Produced by The Awesome Sound, who also doubles at XV’s DJ, Learn to Fly is a spacey record that steadily hits us with an arsenal of synths and piano keys over which X lyrically tap dances on. If XV is the pilot, than Betty Trouble is the stewardess as she provides the calming chorus that complements XV’s spry verses where he discusses the road, or runway, that he’s taken during the course of his life and career to reach his current cruising altitude. So with a preview of what we can expect on the EP, we’ll have to wait until January to see if his upcoming EP, rumored to be titled L7, will take off on time or if it’ll be a delayed departure.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 12/22/11
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.