Booth regulars know that XV is far from your average rapper, but few could have guessed how unusual he really is—on this unreleased track, making its world premiere right here in the Booth, the Kansan buzzmaker makes the startling revelation that he’s been aging backwards a la Benjamin Button. Okay, he isn’t literally getting younger (which is sort of a shame, since he could’ve held the distinction of being the only rapper to add a “Lil’” to his stage name); as he explains over Bach Logic‘s upbeat, string/vocal sample accompaniment, the transition from selling drugs to collecting flashy toys simply makes it seem that way. Mayday and Chris Reg of New Jersey duo M.A.S.H. complete the picture, reliving their early years and reminiscing about the people and places they’ve left behind in nostalgic middle and closing bars. Though this track’s not currently slated for inclusion on any forthcoming project, its quality speaks for itself; packed with lyrical insight, this wistful meditation on youth and the inexorable march of time is sure to be a Booth blockbuster.
Written by richard on 08/27/09
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.