Booth regulars know that XV is far from your average rapper, but few could have guessed how unusual he really is—on this unreleased track, making its world premiere right here in the Booth, the Kansan buzzmaker makes the startling revelation that he’s been aging backwards a la Benjamin Button. Okay, he isn’t literally getting younger (which is sort of a shame, since he could’ve held the distinction of being the only rapper to add a “Lil’” to his stage name); as he explains over Bach Logic‘s upbeat, string/vocal sample accompaniment, the transition from selling drugs to collecting flashy toys simply makes it seem that way. Mayday and Chris Reg of New Jersey duo M.A.S.H. complete the picture, reliving their early years and reminiscing about the people and places they’ve left behind in nostalgic middle and closing bars. Though this track’s not currently slated for inclusion on any forthcoming project, its quality speaks for itself; packed with lyrical insight, this wistful meditation on youth and the inexorable march of time is sure to be a Booth blockbuster.
Written by richard on 08/27/09
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.