Booth regulars know that XV is far from your average rapper, but few could have guessed how unusual he really is—on this unreleased track, making its world premiere right here in the Booth, the Kansan buzzmaker makes the startling revelation that he’s been aging backwards a la Benjamin Button. Okay, he isn’t literally getting younger (which is sort of a shame, since he could’ve held the distinction of being the only rapper to add a “Lil’” to his stage name); as he explains over Bach Logic‘s upbeat, string/vocal sample accompaniment, the transition from selling drugs to collecting flashy toys simply makes it seem that way. Mayday and Chris Reg of New Jersey duo M.A.S.H. complete the picture, reliving their early years and reminiscing about the people and places they’ve left behind in nostalgic middle and closing bars. Though this track’s not currently slated for inclusion on any forthcoming project, its quality speaks for itself; packed with lyrical insight, this wistful meditation on youth and the inexorable march of time is sure to be a Booth blockbuster.
Written by richard on 08/27/09
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)