The title of XV‘s forthcoming mixtape is rife with ambiguity – fortunately, the emcee has provided an explanation in the form of the project’s title track; giving his take on the pursuit of fame and the consequences of earning it, XV paints a picture of an industry where Everybody’s Nobody (but anyone could be somebody – maybe). Notably, the Wichita-bred emcee drops a reference to our 2008 Best of the Booth Awards, spitting, “DJBooth nominated, that’s a great look/ Lost to a song with Lil Wayne that ain’t have a hook.” Though XV’s clearly well-acquainted with the identity crises that artists must face down on the road to success, he doesn’t let it faze him; where other rappers would be bitter, he sounds mostly amused, and his conversational delivery over Seven‘s stop-start organ accompaniment results in a very catchy cut. The Everybody’s Nobody mixtape is due out soon, and fans can look forward to XV’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series, premiering next month.
Written by richard on 02/17/09
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.