The title of XV‘s forthcoming mixtape is rife with ambiguity – fortunately, the emcee has provided an explanation in the form of the project’s title track; giving his take on the pursuit of fame and the consequences of earning it, XV paints a picture of an industry where Everybody’s Nobody (but anyone could be somebody – maybe). Notably, the Wichita-bred emcee drops a reference to our 2008 Best of the Booth Awards, spitting, “DJBooth nominated, that’s a great look/ Lost to a song with Lil Wayne that ain’t have a hook.” Though XV’s clearly well-acquainted with the identity crises that artists must face down on the road to success, he doesn’t let it faze him; where other rappers would be bitter, he sounds mostly amused, and his conversational delivery over Seven‘s stop-start organ accompaniment results in a very catchy cut. The Everybody’s Nobody mixtape is due out soon, and fans can look forward to XV’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series, premiering next month.
Written by richard on 02/17/09
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.