The title of XV‘s forthcoming mixtape is rife with ambiguity – fortunately, the emcee has provided an explanation in the form of the project’s title track; giving his take on the pursuit of fame and the consequences of earning it, XV paints a picture of an industry where Everybody’s Nobody (but anyone could be somebody – maybe). Notably, the Wichita-bred emcee drops a reference to our 2008 Best of the Booth Awards, spitting, “DJBooth nominated, that’s a great look/ Lost to a song with Lil Wayne that ain’t have a hook.” Though XV’s clearly well-acquainted with the identity crises that artists must face down on the road to success, he doesn’t let it faze him; where other rappers would be bitter, he sounds mostly amused, and his conversational delivery over Seven‘s stop-start organ accompaniment results in a very catchy cut. The Everybody’s Nobody mixtape is due out soon, and fans can look forward to XV’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series, premiering next month.
Listen to More: XV
Written by richard on 02/17/09
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.