The title of XV‘s forthcoming mixtape is rife with ambiguity – fortunately, the emcee has provided an explanation in the form of the project’s title track; giving his take on the pursuit of fame and the consequences of earning it, XV paints a picture of an industry where Everybody’s Nobody (but anyone could be somebody – maybe). Notably, the Wichita-bred emcee drops a reference to our 2008 Best of the Booth Awards, spitting, “DJBooth nominated, that’s a great look/ Lost to a song with Lil Wayne that ain’t have a hook.” Though XV’s clearly well-acquainted with the identity crises that artists must face down on the road to success, he doesn’t let it faze him; where other rappers would be bitter, he sounds mostly amused, and his conversational delivery over Seven‘s stop-start organ accompaniment results in a very catchy cut. The Everybody’s Nobody mixtape is due out soon, and fans can look forward to XV’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series, premiering next month.
Written by richard on 02/17/09
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.