The title of XV‘s forthcoming mixtape is rife with ambiguity – fortunately, the emcee has provided an explanation in the form of the project’s title track; giving his take on the pursuit of fame and the consequences of earning it, XV paints a picture of an industry where Everybody’s Nobody (but anyone could be somebody – maybe). Notably, the Wichita-bred emcee drops a reference to our 2008 Best of the Booth Awards, spitting, “DJBooth nominated, that’s a great look/ Lost to a song with Lil Wayne that ain’t have a hook.” Though XV’s clearly well-acquainted with the identity crises that artists must face down on the road to success, he doesn’t let it faze him; where other rappers would be bitter, he sounds mostly amused, and his conversational delivery over Seven‘s stop-start organ accompaniment results in a very catchy cut. The Everybody’s Nobody mixtape is due out soon, and fans can look forward to XV’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series, premiering next month.
Written by richard on 02/17/09
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.