I never thought I’d find myself comparing XV to classic-rocker Huey Lewis, but the two musicians agree on at least one thing: it’s hip to be square. On mixtape standout Be There Be Square, the spacefaring Wichita representative reminisces over the numerous phases he passed through—from his bubble-goose clad, Biggie—before finally embracing what sets him apart and forging his own brand of cool. The moral? “Set out to be something, not someone; they’ll figure you out.” Chiddy Bang beatsmith Xaphoon Jones crafts a a dreamy synth instrumental to back Vizzy’s artistic coming-of-age story. For this cut and much more, check out Squarians Vol. 1, released last Friday and downloadable right here in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 10/22/12
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.