I never thought I’d find myself comparing XV to classic-rocker Huey Lewis, but the two musicians agree on at least one thing: it’s hip to be square. On mixtape standout Be There Be Square, the spacefaring Wichita representative reminisces over the numerous phases he passed through—from his bubble-goose clad, Biggie—before finally embracing what sets him apart and forging his own brand of cool. The moral? “Set out to be something, not someone; they’ll figure you out.” Chiddy Bang beatsmith Xaphoon Jones crafts a a dreamy synth instrumental to back Vizzy’s artistic coming-of-age story. For this cut and much more, check out Squarians Vol. 1, released last Friday and downloadable right here in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 10/22/12
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.