I never thought I’d find myself comparing XV to classic-rocker Huey Lewis, but the two musicians agree on at least one thing: it’s hip to be square. On mixtape standout Be There Be Square, the spacefaring Wichita representative reminisces over the numerous phases he passed through—from his bubble-goose clad, Biggie—before finally embracing what sets him apart and forging his own brand of cool. The moral? “Set out to be something, not someone; they’ll figure you out.” Chiddy Bang beatsmith Xaphoon Jones crafts a a dreamy synth instrumental to back Vizzy’s artistic coming-of-age story. For this cut and much more, check out Squarians Vol. 1, released last Friday and downloadable right here in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 10/22/12
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.