I never thought I’d find myself comparing XV to classic-rocker Huey Lewis, but the two musicians agree on at least one thing: it’s hip to be square. On mixtape standout Be There Be Square, the spacefaring Wichita representative reminisces over the numerous phases he passed through—from his bubble-goose clad, Biggie—before finally embracing what sets him apart and forging his own brand of cool. The moral? “Set out to be something, not someone; they’ll figure you out.” Chiddy Bang beatsmith Xaphoon Jones crafts a a dreamy synth instrumental to back Vizzy’s artistic coming-of-age story. For this cut and much more, check out Squarians Vol. 1, released last Friday and downloadable right here in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 10/22/12
Fresh off the June release of his Popular Culture street album, Wichita spitter and longtime DJBooth favorite XV has dropped another full-length collection of original material (along with a handful of freestyles). Preceded...
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.