As our own DJ Z remarked last week, when the Kansas City repper stepped into the Booth with The Kick, XV is the master of the concept record—whether he’s drawing from cinematic source or coining a broader analogy, Vizzy knows exactly how to paint a vivid picture of his grind without belaboring the point. On Batteries, the freestyle alum evokes not one but two popular metaphors for the industry: the shootout and the video game. Over ever-modest beatsmith The Awesome Sound cinematic synth/brass boardwork, the emcee announces his intent to run and gun his way to the top, with an XBOX controller doubling as his MAC-10. Trae the Truth grabs the mic on the middle, rasping his way through a hi-octane middle 16. True to its title, this hustle anthem left me feeling energized and ready to chase my dreams (even though, for the moment, that involves sitting on my rear in front of the computer). If you feel the same, keep it locked; while this out-of-this-world banger isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, you can count on us to bring you anything and everything XV going forward, including a forthcoming, in-progress collaboration with fellow fave Yonas.
Written by richard on 09/12/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.