As our own DJ Z remarked last week, when the Kansas City repper stepped into the Booth with The Kick, XV is the master of the concept record—whether he’s drawing from cinematic source or coining a broader analogy, Vizzy knows exactly how to paint a vivid picture of his grind without belaboring the point. On Batteries, the freestyle alum evokes not one but two popular metaphors for the industry: the shootout and the video game. Over ever-modest beatsmith The Awesome Sound cinematic synth/brass boardwork, the emcee announces his intent to run and gun his way to the top, with an XBOX controller doubling as his MAC-10. Trae the Truth grabs the mic on the middle, rasping his way through a hi-octane middle 16. True to its title, this hustle anthem left me feeling energized and ready to chase my dreams (even though, for the moment, that involves sitting on my rear in front of the computer). If you feel the same, keep it locked; while this out-of-this-world banger isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, you can count on us to bring you anything and everything XV going forward, including a forthcoming, in-progress collaboration with fellow fave Yonas.
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.