What do Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse and Jim Morrison have in common? Yes, they were all musical icons who died of drug overdoses, but that’s only half the answer—every single one of them was 27-years-old when they met their untimely demise. XV may not be quite as famous as the aforementioned rock legends were in their prime but, as a 26-year-old artist climbing ever-higher in the game, the Wichita repper’s understandably concerned that he might be the next entrant into the 27 Club. His second one-off release this week (see also Chaka Shao Khan), this moody promo single finds beatsmith The Awesome Sound chopping a sample from Minne-ap indie group GAYNGS’ The Beat Down into an ominous backdrop for the freestyle alum‘s rhymes. Lamenting our culture’s fixation on excess and self-destruction, he spits: “Consumption’s our destruction, if you figure there’s a whole generation of wild lil’ n*ggas sayin…. [ I will die young]” Heavy stuff, to be sure, but I have a feeling the Wichita repper’s realness will earn him major points in the Booth. Fans can keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest from XV, including release details on his yet-unscheduled Warner Bros. debut album.
Written by richard on 12/15/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.