What do Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse and Jim Morrison have in common? Yes, they were all musical icons who died of drug overdoses, but that’s only half the answer—every single one of them was 27-years-old when they met their untimely demise. XV may not be quite as famous as the aforementioned rock legends were in their prime but, as a 26-year-old artist climbing ever-higher in the game, the Wichita repper’s understandably concerned that he might be the next entrant into the 27 Club. His second one-off release this week (see also Chaka Shao Khan), this moody promo single finds beatsmith The Awesome Sound chopping a sample from Minne-ap indie group GAYNGS’ The Beat Down into an ominous backdrop for the freestyle alum‘s rhymes. Lamenting our culture’s fixation on excess and self-destruction, he spits: “Consumption’s our destruction, if you figure there’s a whole generation of wild lil’ n*ggas sayin…. [ I will die young]” Heavy stuff, to be sure, but I have a feeling the Wichita repper’s realness will earn him major points in the Booth. Fans can keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest from XV, including release details on his yet-unscheduled Warner Bros. debut album.
Written by richard on 12/15/11
Submit your Rating
Square Bound Music/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Got It ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.