We Made It—sounds pretty upbeat, right? Well, not exactly…Though Wyclef Jean‘s enjoyed a long and successful musical career, he’s well aware that countless less fortunate individuals are struggling to survive in poverty and violence-stricken locales worldwide, and this new buzz single is colored by that realization. Croaking bleakly quotable lines like “Everybody wanna be Scarface, but nobody wanna die….” over production team The Runners’ bare, chopped guitar chords and ghostly background vocals, the emcee/singer flips a reggae groove into something akin to ragged, fire-and-brimstone blues. Mid-verse, the instrumental veers into more traditional hip-hop territory, backing Wyclef’s ominous lyricism with buzzing synths that build to a sweeping, but still very eerie chorus. Bracing, creative, and eccentrically catchy, this ‘street anthem’ is sure to fulfill its intended purpose and leave listeners buzzing about the Fugees alumnus’ forthcoming, untitled LP (due out sometime this year). Watch for Wyclef’s other recently-released buzz single, Timbaland collabo More Bottles, to hit our front page tomorrow.
Written by richard on 05/18/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.