Over the years, Wyclef Jean has been an artist who has taken on many roles: rapper, political activist, philanthropist. For his new mixtape DJ Drama Presents Wyclef Jean Toussaint St. Jean From the Hut, to the Projects, to the Mansion., he dons yet another role: Haitian revolutionary. Taking on the character of “Toussaint,” Wyclef emerges with an emotional album, exemplified by the new single Suicide Love featuring Eve. Produced by Wyclef and longtime music partner Jerry “Wonda” Duplessis, the track starts off with a futuristic, synthetic piano sound that smoothly transitions into the first verse. Wyclef has an emotional tone in his flow, and his lyrics reflect that feeling with lines like “I got suicide love for you…I would die for you.” Eve, who made a name for herself by acting like a tough girl, shows a more sensitive side, describing her ideas on love with a great film reference when she rhymes: “Alabama, I’m your True Romance.” Wyclef’s new mixtape is set to drop off Carnival House/MegaForce/RED/SonyMusic on Nov. 10. Keep it locked to DJBooth.net for all the latest.
Written by matt juss on 11/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.