Just speaking the words “Fugees” or “The Score” is enough to send devotees of rap’s Golden Age into a nostalgic reverie—crew member Wyclef Jean included. Released via ‘Clef’s own Refugee Records and recently premiered via Hot 97, this freshly-minted promotional single finds the industry veteran taking a wistful trip through Hip-Hop history, from the ‘80s, through his own mid-‘90s heyday, all the way up to today. Though he can’t front like he doesn’t miss certain acts of the past (Outkast chief among them), his portrait of contemporary urban music is a refreshingly upbeat one. Over his, Ric Atari and Sadack Jean‘s piano-led boardwork, he gives A$AP Rocky, Odd Future, Joey BadA$$ and even Waka Flocka (who he provocatively compares to ODB) props for carrying the torch for the music he loves. This joint isn’t attached to a forthcoming project from Wyclef, but who’s to say his recollections won’t inspire him to get to work on more fresh tunes? Whatever the case, you can keep it locked for the latest.
Written by richard on 01/20/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dangerous ft. Wyclef" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.