Just speaking the words “Fugees” or “The Score” is enough to send devotees of rap’s Golden Age into a nostalgic reverie—crew member Wyclef Jean included. Released via ‘Clef’s own Refugee Records and recently premiered via Hot 97, this freshly-minted promotional single finds the industry veteran taking a wistful trip through Hip-Hop history, from the ‘80s, through his own mid-‘90s heyday, all the way up to today. Though he can’t front like he doesn’t miss certain acts of the past (Outkast chief among them), his portrait of contemporary urban music is a refreshingly upbeat one. Over his, Ric Atari and Sadack Jean‘s piano-led boardwork, he gives A$AP Rocky, Odd Future, Joey BadA$$ and even Waka Flocka (who he provocatively compares to ODB) props for carrying the torch for the music he loves. This joint isn’t attached to a forthcoming project from Wyclef, but who’s to say his recollections won’t inspire him to get to work on more fresh tunes? Whatever the case, you can keep it locked for the latest.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dangerous ft. Wyclef" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.