Though Booth readers and staff appreciated the brutal honesty Wyclef Jean brought to his last mixtape single, February’s Mid Life Crisis, his self-examination ultimately failed to strike a chord, and the record won lukewarm-to-cold reviews on our pages. On the newly-released follow-up, the Fugees alum shifts his gaze back toward the outside world—specifically, the streets of Chicago, where the “Bang Bang Bang” of firearms has become the soundtrack to many residents’ everyday lives. Here, ‘Clef’s own stripped-down acoustic guitar strums serve as backdrop for verses lamenting the high costs of poverty and violence. On the back, he offers a simple prescription for change: “Wanna get the blood out they eyes?... Show the youth love.” For this poignant jam and many more where it came from, check out Wyclef’s April Showers street album, released today for free digital download.
Written by richard on 04/29/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)