Though Booth readers and staff appreciated the brutal honesty Wyclef Jean brought to his last mixtape single, February’s Mid Life Crisis, his self-examination ultimately failed to strike a chord, and the record won lukewarm-to-cold reviews on our pages. On the newly-released follow-up, the Fugees alum shifts his gaze back toward the outside world—specifically, the streets of Chicago, where the “Bang Bang Bang” of firearms has become the soundtrack to many residents’ everyday lives. Here, ‘Clef’s own stripped-down acoustic guitar strums serve as backdrop for verses lamenting the high costs of poverty and violence. On the back, he offers a simple prescription for change: “Wanna get the blood out they eyes?... Show the youth love.” For this poignant jam and many more where it came from, check out Wyclef’s April Showers street album, released today for free digital download.
Written by richard on 04/29/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dangerous ft. Wyclef" (2006)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.