Though Booth readers and staff appreciated the brutal honesty Wyclef Jean brought to his last mixtape single, February’s Mid Life Crisis, his self-examination ultimately failed to strike a chord, and the record won lukewarm-to-cold reviews on our pages. On the newly-released follow-up, the Fugees alum shifts his gaze back toward the outside world—specifically, the streets of Chicago, where the “Bang Bang Bang” of firearms has become the soundtrack to many residents’ everyday lives. Here, ‘Clef’s own stripped-down acoustic guitar strums serve as backdrop for verses lamenting the high costs of poverty and violence. On the back, he offers a simple prescription for change: “Wanna get the blood out they eyes?... Show the youth love.” For this poignant jam and many more where it came from, check out Wyclef’s April Showers street album, released today for free digital download.
Written by richard on 04/29/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.