Though Booth readers and staff appreciated the brutal honesty Wyclef Jean brought to his last mixtape single, February’s Mid Life Crisis, his self-examination ultimately failed to strike a chord, and the record won lukewarm-to-cold reviews on our pages. On the newly-released follow-up, the Fugees alum shifts his gaze back toward the outside world—specifically, the streets of Chicago, where the “Bang Bang Bang” of firearms has become the soundtrack to many residents’ everyday lives. Here, ‘Clef’s own stripped-down acoustic guitar strums serve as backdrop for verses lamenting the high costs of poverty and violence. On the back, he offers a simple prescription for change: “Wanna get the blood out they eyes?... Show the youth love.” For this poignant jam and many more where it came from, check out Wyclef’s April Showers street album, released today for free digital download.
Written by richard on 04/29/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.