Featured yesterday, ghoulish street anthem We Made It earned praise for its genre-fusing creativity, as well as Wyclef Jean‘s gritty, socially-conscious lyricism. The Fugees alumnus’ other recently-released buzz single is an entirely different story—sort of. The setup’s pretty typical of a club banger—Wyclef and his superproducer pal, Timbaland, are sitting in the VIP room, ordering more and More Bottles of their favorite upscale liquors—but anyone who hasn’t been guzzling Patron all night will quickly realize that there’s more here than meets the eye. To make a long story short, this record is less a ringing endorsement of drunken revelry than a Masque of the Red Death-style jab at those who (figuratively and literally) party the night away, blissfully and willfully ignorant of the horrors lurking just outside the door. Of course, the crowning irony is that so many of us will be drinking and dancing to this record—with Timbaland’s starkly exotic boardwork (plus a few ad-libs) and a refreshingly un-arena rock guitar solo to boot, how could you not move to the music? If this darkly clever club cut’s got you intrigued, keep it locked to the Booth for more info on the ‘09 release of Wyclef’s untitled LP.
Written by richard on 05/19/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dangerous ft. Wyclef" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)