Featured yesterday, ghoulish street anthem We Made It earned praise for its genre-fusing creativity, as well as Wyclef Jean‘s gritty, socially-conscious lyricism. The Fugees alumnus’ other recently-released buzz single is an entirely different story—sort of. The setup’s pretty typical of a club banger—Wyclef and his superproducer pal, Timbaland, are sitting in the VIP room, ordering more and More Bottles of their favorite upscale liquors—but anyone who hasn’t been guzzling Patron all night will quickly realize that there’s more here than meets the eye. To make a long story short, this record is less a ringing endorsement of drunken revelry than a Masque of the Red Death-style jab at those who (figuratively and literally) party the night away, blissfully and willfully ignorant of the horrors lurking just outside the door. Of course, the crowning irony is that so many of us will be drinking and dancing to this record—with Timbaland’s starkly exotic boardwork (plus a few ad-libs) and a refreshingly un-arena rock guitar solo to boot, how could you not move to the music? If this darkly clever club cut’s got you intrigued, keep it locked to the Booth for more info on the ‘09 release of Wyclef’s untitled LP.
Written by richard on 05/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)