Featured yesterday, ghoulish street anthem We Made It earned praise for its genre-fusing creativity, as well as Wyclef Jean‘s gritty, socially-conscious lyricism. The Fugees alumnus’ other recently-released buzz single is an entirely different story—sort of. The setup’s pretty typical of a club banger—Wyclef and his superproducer pal, Timbaland, are sitting in the VIP room, ordering more and More Bottles of their favorite upscale liquors—but anyone who hasn’t been guzzling Patron all night will quickly realize that there’s more here than meets the eye. To make a long story short, this record is less a ringing endorsement of drunken revelry than a Masque of the Red Death-style jab at those who (figuratively and literally) party the night away, blissfully and willfully ignorant of the horrors lurking just outside the door. Of course, the crowning irony is that so many of us will be drinking and dancing to this record—with Timbaland’s starkly exotic boardwork (plus a few ad-libs) and a refreshingly un-arena rock guitar solo to boot, how could you not move to the music? If this darkly clever club cut’s got you intrigued, keep it locked to the Booth for more info on the ‘09 release of Wyclef’s untitled LP.
Written by richard on 05/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dangerous ft. Wyclef" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.