Featured yesterday, ghoulish street anthem We Made It earned praise for its genre-fusing creativity, as well as Wyclef Jean‘s gritty, socially-conscious lyricism. The Fugees alumnus’ other recently-released buzz single is an entirely different story—sort of. The setup’s pretty typical of a club banger—Wyclef and his superproducer pal, Timbaland, are sitting in the VIP room, ordering more and More Bottles of their favorite upscale liquors—but anyone who hasn’t been guzzling Patron all night will quickly realize that there’s more here than meets the eye. To make a long story short, this record is less a ringing endorsement of drunken revelry than a Masque of the Red Death-style jab at those who (figuratively and literally) party the night away, blissfully and willfully ignorant of the horrors lurking just outside the door. Of course, the crowning irony is that so many of us will be drinking and dancing to this record—with Timbaland’s starkly exotic boardwork (plus a few ad-libs) and a refreshingly un-arena rock guitar solo to boot, how could you not move to the music? If this darkly clever club cut’s got you intrigued, keep it locked to the Booth for more info on the ‘09 release of Wyclef’s untitled LP.
Written by richard on 05/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.