Featured yesterday, ghoulish street anthem We Made It earned praise for its genre-fusing creativity, as well as Wyclef Jean‘s gritty, socially-conscious lyricism. The Fugees alumnus’ other recently-released buzz single is an entirely different story—sort of. The setup’s pretty typical of a club banger—Wyclef and his superproducer pal, Timbaland, are sitting in the VIP room, ordering more and More Bottles of their favorite upscale liquors—but anyone who hasn’t been guzzling Patron all night will quickly realize that there’s more here than meets the eye. To make a long story short, this record is less a ringing endorsement of drunken revelry than a Masque of the Red Death-style jab at those who (figuratively and literally) party the night away, blissfully and willfully ignorant of the horrors lurking just outside the door. Of course, the crowning irony is that so many of us will be drinking and dancing to this record—with Timbaland’s starkly exotic boardwork (plus a few ad-libs) and a refreshingly un-arena rock guitar solo to boot, how could you not move to the music? If this darkly clever club cut’s got you intrigued, keep it locked to the Booth for more info on the ‘09 release of Wyclef’s untitled LP.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dangerous ft. Wyclef" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.