With the skyrocketing stateside popularity of Pass Out emcee Tinie Tempah, could Caribbean-informed jams from across the pond be headed for Next Big Thing status? Perhaps so; even if there is a movement brewing, though, Booth newcomer Wretch 32 refuses to be thought of as simply pursuing a popular sound – as he explains on his first feature, it’s the sound that follows him. New single Unorthodox is something of a musical mission statement, with beatsmith Future Cut cooking up an infectiously upbeat, reggae-accented groove as the rapper fills us in on his M.O. Contrary to what you might expect from a dude with “Wretch“ in his name, he keeps it positive, admitting that he’s given up the rest of his life pursuits to devote himself to the music game but assuring us that he couldn’t be happier with his decision. Singer/emcee Example, a fellow UK mainstay, handles guest duties, topping it all off with a melodic hook that’ll be running through listeners’ heads long after the cut is over. Digging this bouncy ode to nonconformity? Then keep it locked for the latest, and be sure to cop Unorthodox when it drops as a promo single April 17.
Listen to More: Wretch 32
Written by richard on 02/22/11
Levels Recordings/Ministry Of Sound
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Like It or Love It" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.