With the skyrocketing stateside popularity of Pass Out emcee Tinie Tempah, could Caribbean-informed jams from across the pond be headed for Next Big Thing status? Perhaps so; even if there is a movement brewing, though, Booth newcomer Wretch 32 refuses to be thought of as simply pursuing a popular sound – as he explains on his first feature, it’s the sound that follows him. New single Unorthodox is something of a musical mission statement, with beatsmith Future Cut cooking up an infectiously upbeat, reggae-accented groove as the rapper fills us in on his M.O. Contrary to what you might expect from a dude with “Wretch“ in his name, he keeps it positive, admitting that he’s given up the rest of his life pursuits to devote himself to the music game but assuring us that he couldn’t be happier with his decision. Singer/emcee Example, a fellow UK mainstay, handles guest duties, topping it all off with a melodic hook that’ll be running through listeners’ heads long after the cut is over. Digging this bouncy ode to nonconformity? Then keep it locked for the latest, and be sure to cop Unorthodox when it drops as a promo single April 17.
Written by richard on 02/22/11
Submit your Rating
Levels Recordings/Ministry Of Sound
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Like It or Love It" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.