With the skyrocketing stateside popularity of Pass Out emcee Tinie Tempah, could Caribbean-informed jams from across the pond be headed for Next Big Thing status? Perhaps so; even if there is a movement brewing, though, Booth newcomer Wretch 32 refuses to be thought of as simply pursuing a popular sound – as he explains on his first feature, it’s the sound that follows him. New single Unorthodox is something of a musical mission statement, with beatsmith Future Cut cooking up an infectiously upbeat, reggae-accented groove as the rapper fills us in on his M.O. Contrary to what you might expect from a dude with “Wretch“ in his name, he keeps it positive, admitting that he’s given up the rest of his life pursuits to devote himself to the music game but assuring us that he couldn’t be happier with his decision. Singer/emcee Example, a fellow UK mainstay, handles guest duties, topping it all off with a melodic hook that’ll be running through listeners’ heads long after the cut is over. Digging this bouncy ode to nonconformity? Then keep it locked for the latest, and be sure to cop Unorthodox when it drops as a promo single April 17.
Written by richard on 02/22/11
Submit your Rating
Levels Recordings/Ministry Of Sound
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Like It or Love It" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.