I don’t know if a gaggle of underground flame-spitters gathering on one dope ensemble cut can be considered “groundbreaking,” but one thing’s for damn sure: it doesn’t happen nearly often enough. Thus, though turkey day’s come and gone, we can all be thankful for Wrekonize‘s latest offering, an all-star remix of A Soiree for Skeptics standout cut Groundwork. As on the original, Procussions beatsmith Stro the 89th Key mans the boards, crafting an organ-led backdrop for the hyperkinetic lyricism of the ¡MAYDAY! member and his peers. Lending a hand on the guest tip are West Coast veteran Ras Kass (also appearing on producer Hazardis Soundz’ Booth debut, featured tonight), Boston’s Akrobatik,Cali buzzmaker Co$$ and Miami representatives Rudi Goblen and Saheed. With a lineup this talented, it’d be easier to quote one of the record’s few wack lines than to settle on a favorite… but that’d just be mean so, as usual, I’ll leave it to readers settle the score. Those who like what they’re hearing can find the original version of Groundwork and much more on Wrekonize’s debut solo mixtape, out now online.
Written by richard on 11/28/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Out To Get Me ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.