I don’t know if a gaggle of underground flame-spitters gathering on one dope ensemble cut can be considered “groundbreaking,” but one thing’s for damn sure: it doesn’t happen nearly often enough. Thus, though turkey day’s come and gone, we can all be thankful for Wrekonize‘s latest offering, an all-star remix of A Soiree for Skeptics standout cut Groundwork. As on the original, Procussions beatsmith Stro the 89th Key mans the boards, crafting an organ-led backdrop for the hyperkinetic lyricism of the ¡MAYDAY! member and his peers. Lending a hand on the guest tip are West Coast veteran Ras Kass (also appearing on producer Hazardis Soundz’ Booth debut, featured tonight), Boston’s Akrobatik,Cali buzzmaker Co$$ and Miami representatives Rudi Goblen and Saheed. With a lineup this talented, it’d be easier to quote one of the record’s few wack lines than to settle on a favorite… but that’d just be mean so, as usual, I’ll leave it to readers settle the score. Those who like what they’re hearing can find the original version of Groundwork and much more on Wrekonize’s debut solo mixtape, out now online.
Written by richard on 11/28/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Out To Get Me ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.