For artists who break through as part of a collective, branching out into solo material offers an opportunity to delve into subject matter of a more personal nature. The desire to get real about his inner conflicts was clearly the impetus behind ¡MAYDAY! frontman Wrekonize‘s forthcoming Strange Music debut, which bears the title The War Within. On single numero uno off the project, Anxiety Attacks, the emcee lets fans in on the self-doubt, insecurity, and unpleasant memories than sometimes threaten to stifle his creative process. Dj Sharpsound provides an understated, keyboard-led beat to back his confessional bars. Featuring production from Seven, Streetrunner, K-Salaam & Beatnick, Plex Luthor, Will Power, Burn One and more, Wrek’s freshman set is scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers June 4. In the meantime, fans can still cop his most recent street album, The Rooftops Mixtape, for free in the Booth.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Wrekonize’s Bernz-directed Anxiety Attacks visual.
Written by richard on 05/8/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Out To Get Me ft. Busta Rhymes" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.