Where did Wordsmith‘s paycheck go? As the underground emcee explains on Soul Baby Blues, the latest single off his Chubb Rock-assisted Bridging the Gap LP, it’s a certain alluring female who’s responsible for the lightness of his pocketbook. Of course, when you’re getting the kind of “funkadelic love” he is, it’s hard to get bent out of shape about your financial situation. Beatsmith Strada backs the rapper’s love-drunk lyricism with a beat as groovy as the woman in question, grabbing a sample from ‘60s rock group Blood, Sweat & Tears’ verbosely-named classic, I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know (too funny not to mention: the ‘68 single features the lyrics,”I can be anything that you demand/ I could be President of General Motors, baby,” That line hasn’t aged too well.). Fans can find this retro-informed love jam, along with previously-featured cuts Back In and Music for the Millennium, on BtG, available now from online retailers and set to hit record stores everywhere in mid-October.
Listen to More: Wordsmith
Written by richard on 10/1/09
Nu Revolution Ent. LLC.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Judged in Da Cipha ft. RhymeZwell & Black Knight" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.