When a talented emcee like Wizdom gathers up his mic-murderingest colleagues to craft a dope ensemble cut, what is there to say but “For sure, That’s Nice”? (That’s the luxuriant “That’s nice,” of utter contentment, of course, not the similar-sounding but semantically opposed “That’s nice.” of world-weary dismissal.). The emcee’s first Booth feature, this left-of-center party cut finds Epidemmick blending a Latin-brass sample, bells, and crowd noise to boisterous effect as the Seattle repper and fellow Pacific Northwesterners Sol and Luck-One deliver entertaining variations on the spitting-game-to-fly-honeys theme. With such a smorgasboard of suave lyricism on display, I’m not gonna be able to pick an MVP—but Sol’s blunt honesty is impressive (“I’ll write a song about you called ‘Not the One’ / That’s why you shouldn’t hook up with rappers at the club.”) as is the headliner’s deft deployment of a Pink Cookies in a Plastic Bag Getting Crushed by Buildings reference on the back. Grynch rounds out the lineup, lending his vocals to the hook. Think this record is, well, nice? Then you’re sure to appreciate the rest of what Wizdom’s got lined up for his Unearthed LP, due out Dec. 6.
Written by richard on 11/8/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.