For a self-proclaimed stoner of all-stoners, Wiz Khalifa sure puts in a lot of work. In between the Microsoft commercials, constant shows and endless stream of interviews you’d actually think the man is addicted to work, not THC. But as Wiz reminds us on his new single, his life carries one simple motto: Word Hard Play Hard. Produced by Benny Blanco and Stargate, the latter half of which were responsible for his massive Black & Yellow breakthrough, Work/Play features an openly banger of a beat full of enough bass to set off a California faultline and instantly addictive synth lines before flipping into a more openly pop hook. Vocally Wiz follows the instrumental’s lead, laying down line after line aimed at letting the world know that all that hard work has paid off very, very nicely: “I got so much money I should start a bank / so much paper right in front of me it’s hard to think.” So how about it DJBooth Nation? Was Work Hard Play Hard the right way to kick off Wiz’ campaign towards the summer release of his sophomore album, O.N.I.F.C. (Only Nigga In First Class)?
Written by Nathan S. on 05/23/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Yeah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.