For a self-proclaimed stoner of all-stoners, Wiz Khalifa sure puts in a lot of work. In between the Microsoft commercials, constant shows and endless stream of interviews you’d actually think the man is addicted to work, not THC. But as Wiz reminds us on his new single, his life carries one simple motto: Word Hard Play Hard. Produced by Benny Blanco and Stargate, the latter half of which were responsible for his massive Black & Yellow breakthrough, Work/Play features an openly banger of a beat full of enough bass to set off a California faultline and instantly addictive synth lines before flipping into a more openly pop hook. Vocally Wiz follows the instrumental’s lead, laying down line after line aimed at letting the world know that all that hard work has paid off very, very nicely: “I got so much money I should start a bank / so much paper right in front of me it’s hard to think.” So how about it DJBooth Nation? Was Work Hard Play Hard the right way to kick off Wiz’ campaign towards the summer release of his sophomore album, O.N.I.F.C. (Only Nigga In First Class)?
Written by Nathan S. on 05/23/12
He may not be the “best”, or the richest, or the most powerful, but Wiz Khalifa is certainly one of the most famous rappers alive. Thanks in large part to his new girlfriend’s large parts Kanye West’s every move is...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Yeah" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.