Sure a rapper has a loyal fanbase, but can they reach people across the musical spectrum? It’s called crossover appeal, and after Black & Yellow pretty much set the world on fire, Wiz Khalifa didn’t necessarily need to reach extra hard for radio attention. Yet, the second single, Roll Up, from his major label debut album, is about as big of a reach for the mainstream as you’ll hear. While Stargate’s production runs on the standard airy pop mechanics, Wiz essentially dances around the beat, sounding at times more like a generic pop singer than a man who flipped a banger of a beat into one of the top five songs in the country. Indeed, the track’s subject matter is for the ladies (and shockingly not really about weed) but none of Wiz’s sweet talk runs as smoothly as his previous odes to the fairer sex have. While it may be too sugary sweet for most of the male Taylor Gang members, expect the females to eat this up from the DJBooth Freestyle alum. Khalifa’s Atlantic Records debut Rolling Papers hits stores on March 29. Only time will tell how far Wiz can reach.
Written by Brando on 01/30/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Yeah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.