Roughly twenty years ago, a new genre of electronic dance music began to spring up in Germany called trance. At first it remained confined to underground raves, but it wasn’t long until pioneering DJ’s began to spin their bewilderingly up-tempo, highly melodic beats at venues all over Europe. For some reason, however, it never gained its foothold in the American mainstream. Until now, that is. “Trance-rap” may not be as pure a genre as either of its namesakes, but it’s the next logical step in a globalizing musical community. Wiz Khalifa and his producer, Johnny Juliano, are the torchbearers of the movement. After sampling Alice Deejay on their blowup single, Say Yeah, the Pittburgh duo is back with their new trance-rap single, Make It Hot. Check out more Khalifa on his upcoming album, First Flight.
Written by Charlie E. on 07/30/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Yeah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.