Roughly twenty years ago, a new genre of electronic dance music began to spring up in Germany called trance. At first it remained confined to underground raves, but it wasn’t long until pioneering DJ’s began to spin their bewilderingly up-tempo, highly melodic beats at venues all over Europe. For some reason, however, it never gained its foothold in the American mainstream. Until now, that is. “Trance-rap” may not be as pure a genre as either of its namesakes, but it’s the next logical step in a globalizing musical community. Wiz Khalifa and his producer, Johnny Juliano, are the torchbearers of the movement. After sampling Alice Deejay on their blowup single, Say Yeah, the Pittburgh duo is back with their new trance-rap single, Make It Hot. Check out more Khalifa on his upcoming album, First Flight.
Written by Charlie E. on 07/30/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Yeah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.