Roughly twenty years ago, a new genre of electronic dance music began to spring up in Germany called trance. At first it remained confined to underground raves, but it wasn’t long until pioneering DJ’s began to spin their bewilderingly up-tempo, highly melodic beats at venues all over Europe. For some reason, however, it never gained its foothold in the American mainstream. Until now, that is. “Trance-rap” may not be as pure a genre as either of its namesakes, but it’s the next logical step in a globalizing musical community. Wiz Khalifa and his producer, Johnny Juliano, are the torchbearers of the movement. After sampling Alice Deejay on their blowup single, Say Yeah, the Pittburgh duo is back with their new trance-rap single, Make It Hot. Check out more Khalifa on his upcoming album, First Flight.
Written by Charlie E. on 07/30/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Yeah" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)