Roughly twenty years ago, a new genre of electronic dance music began to spring up in Germany called trance. At first it remained confined to underground raves, but it wasn’t long until pioneering DJ’s began to spin their bewilderingly up-tempo, highly melodic beats at venues all over Europe. For some reason, however, it never gained its foothold in the American mainstream. Until now, that is. “Trance-rap” may not be as pure a genre as either of its namesakes, but it’s the next logical step in a globalizing musical community. Wiz Khalifa and his producer, Johnny Juliano, are the torchbearers of the movement. After sampling Alice Deejay on their blowup single, Say Yeah, the Pittburgh duo is back with their new trance-rap single, Make It Hot. Check out more Khalifa on his upcoming album, First Flight.
Written by Charlie E. on 07/30/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Say Yeah" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.