At the age of 11, most us have barely begun the endless work of defining ourselves as individuals. It goes without saying that life as a celebrity, with the constant attention and judgment that it invites, would be a stress that most preteens could do without. If you’re wondering whether Willow Smith can withstand the burning glare of the spotlight, however, it seems that the budding pop songstress has it covered. A new single penned by the artist herself along with Wild Ones hookwoman Sia and Fuego, I’m Me finds the artist asserting herself with a confidence that many twice her age have yet to achieve. Abandoning the bells and whistles of her past releases in favor of a raw and unadorned vocal presentation and a stripped-down piano backdrop, Smith expresses her determination to keep it real and express herself, regardless of what anyone else has to say about her. And in the record’s official video, she proves it, rocking a shaved head,/skinny jeans/giant orange polka dot shirt ensemble with unflappable self-confidence and panache. Willow’s debut set, the long-delayed Knees & Elbows, has yet to receive a solid drop date from the Roc Nation/Universal brass, but fans can, of course, keep it locked for all the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 07/2/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whip My Hair" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.