Last we heard from Willow Smith, the Fresh Princess had departed from her hair-whipping antics of old to showcase a more melancholy side of her artistic vision on January’s Sugar & Spice. While the overall reception was positive, some Boothgoers expressed doubt that the path she was treading would lead to commercial success. Well, it seems that Smith is determined to follow her muse whenever it may lead her, as newly-released promo single Drowning doubles down on its predecessor’s morose vibe. Over uncredited producer’s stark piano backdrop, the artist showcases her always-impressive vocal chops as she spins a tragic tale of love and loss. Singer Mecca Kalani, a Booth newcomer, assists on the guest tip. This mournful ballad isn’t part of a larger set but, if it’s struck a chord, you can keep it locked for all the latest from the rising teen-pop star.
Written by richard on 08/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whip My Hair" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.