Last we heard from Willow Smith, the Fresh Princess had departed from her hair-whipping antics of old to showcase a more melancholy side of her artistic vision on January’s Sugar & Spice. While the overall reception was positive, some Boothgoers expressed doubt that the path she was treading would lead to commercial success. Well, it seems that Smith is determined to follow her muse whenever it may lead her, as newly-released promo single Drowning doubles down on its predecessor’s morose vibe. Over uncredited producer’s stark piano backdrop, the artist showcases her always-impressive vocal chops as she spins a tragic tale of love and loss. Singer Mecca Kalani, a Booth newcomer, assists on the guest tip. This mournful ballad isn’t part of a larger set but, if it’s struck a chord, you can keep it locked for all the latest from the rising teen-pop star.
Written by richard on 08/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whip My Hair" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.