With his forthcoming mixtape, Will Roush simply seeks for the listening public to “Know My Name,” but a little familiarity with the 20-year-old up-and-comer’s unique story couldn’t hurt: for one thing, the Manhattan-to-Greenwich, Connecticut transplant’s passion for rapping helped him overcome Supraventricular Tachycardia, a potentially-lethal heart condition. Mixtape cut What I Gotta Do Dilla serves as further introduction: essentially, he’s a “white, Jewish kid” trying to find his identity in the game. Though his background may not be as much of an obstacle as he makes it out to be (after all, a couple white, Jewish punk rockers called the Beastie Boys managed to become hip-hop icons without sacrificing one iota of individuality), the conceit gives him license to show off his gruff lyrical confidence as he skewers the game, taking jabs at industry punchlines like Clay Aiken and Amy Winehouse—plus, it’s hard not to sound good over bass-bumping, funk-guitar production by the late Jay Dee. Want to know even more about Roush? Watch for his DJ Skee and Whookid-presented mixtape to drop this April.
Written by richard on 03/12/09
Submit your Rating
Who U Wit? Ent.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.