With his forthcoming mixtape, Will Roush simply seeks for the listening public to “Know My Name,” but a little familiarity with the 20-year-old up-and-comer’s unique story couldn’t hurt: for one thing, the Manhattan-to-Greenwich, Connecticut transplant’s passion for rapping helped him overcome Supraventricular Tachycardia, a potentially-lethal heart condition. Mixtape cut What I Gotta Do Dilla serves as further introduction: essentially, he’s a “white, Jewish kid” trying to find his identity in the game. Though his background may not be as much of an obstacle as he makes it out to be (after all, a couple white, Jewish punk rockers called the Beastie Boys managed to become hip-hop icons without sacrificing one iota of individuality), the conceit gives him license to show off his gruff lyrical confidence as he skewers the game, taking jabs at industry punchlines like Clay Aiken and Amy Winehouse—plus, it’s hard not to sound good over bass-bumping, funk-guitar production by the late Jay Dee. Want to know even more about Roush? Watch for his DJ Skee and Whookid-presented mixtape to drop this April.
Listen to More: Will Roush
Written by richard on 03/12/09
Who U Wit? Ent.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.